Google Analytics

Monday, October 25, 2010

Home Practice: Yes, It's Important!

In fact, it's down-right necessary! If you've read my profile, you know that I started practicing yoga when I was 16, going to classes with my mother. When I went to college, though, my practice tapered off into near nothingness. It wasn't until I was 25 that yoga reemerged in my life. Scott, my partner, challenged me to 90 consecutive days of yoga, betting that it would relieve many of the nagging little health problems I was experiencing, including those related to my scoliosis, and even help me quit smoking. I accepted the challenge and haven't missed a day of yoga practice since. The benefits to my health and the improvement in my quality of life have been tremendous. I quit smoking and, because I replaced it with a healthy habit I love, I have no desire to smoke and no cravings, ever. All of this is a direct result of my consistent daily yoga practice.

How did I afford to practice yoga everyday? After all, an unlimited pass at a yoga studio costs around $160-200 a month. The answer is simple: HOME PRACTICE! I started my daily practice by purchasing unlimited passes at a yoga studio, but quickly realized that my meager budget really had no room for this expense. Fortunately, in his infinite wisdom, Scott had given me a starter yoga kit complete with a mat, blocks, and a strap along with a few practice DVD's. With dedication and careful study, I developed my daily yoga practice primarily at home for the first year.

I emphasize to my students and friends that yoga class is not the place to practice. Don't get me wrong, going to class is incredibly important. It's the place to study and learn new things, refining your practice under the guidance of a trained teacher. Class is necessary. However, the place to practice is at home, on your own time, in your own space. Practicing at home is the essence of svadhyaya, or the study of the self. This deepens your practice, and makes it uniquely yours. Once we begin down this path, the benefits just roll in.

Because the home practice is so important, I've dedicated a page here exclusively to home practice topics. I've started it off with my tips on how to start your home practice, based on the blueprint I followed with much success.  I hope you will find some strategies there that resonate with you. Happy practicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

"And the alternate me's in alternate futures, the ones who made different decisions along the way, who turned left at corners I turned right, what would they have to tell me?" Richard Bach